Sunday, August 24, 2008

PRAYING MANTIS

Today when I got back from the park I found a praying mantis on a bush by our driveway. I've been hoping this summer to find one. I found one over 10yrs ago and kept it for awhile, feeding it crickets.

I went in and got my daughters bug container and put it inside with a part of the bush. I kept it in there for a couple hours then I took these pictures of it before I let it go onto a bush in our backyard. I would have liked to have kept her but I just don't have the time nor the energy to keep her alive.

I think these bugs are not only odd looking but are also very cool. I always think of the movie Aliens when I see them. They turn their head and study you and they always look like they understand. Not sure if you have ever seen one eat but that's cool too. They will hold their victim with their big forearms and devour it. If you ever see one in your yard, keep it there. They do a great job of getting rid of the bugs.




1 comment:

April said...

You got some really good pics! That is awesome that you saw one. It has been years since I have seen one.